OBT-O04 : Off Beaten Track – Local Train Ride and Fishing Village
Duration : full day
Price : THB
Tour Rating :
Our meeting point is at Asia Hotel Lobby @ Ratchathewi Sky Train Station
Get picked up at Asia Hotel by air-conditioned transport. We are off to Sumut Songkram, the famous fishing town of Thailand. The drive from Bangkok takes only 45 minutes (depend on traffic) then you will arrive at Ta Chalom (previous name of Sumut Songkram). Spend sometimes surveying this local market which offers different kinds of seafood, local food, vegetables and fruits that you probably have never seen at home. After that we take of heading to Ban Leam Train Station. Travel by a local train to Samut Songkram, the next province. Being part of our “off Beaten Track” by sitting on a Thai train, this is a chance for you to get beautiful view and fresh air of Thailand’s rural countryside. The sound of train engine might be loud but the friendly smile of Thai people makes this an unforgettable trip for you.Soon the train will be approaching the famous Train Market, Mae Klong or known by Thais as “Talaat Rom Hoob”. (Talaat: market, Rom: Umbrella, Hoob: to close). Another word it means a market with closed umbrellas. This is because the stores which are along the train track have to close their umbrellas (shelter) every time the train passes by. Just imagine the train does not come in once a day, but 4 trains/day so that makes 8 times daily including the returning trip and that the shopkeepers here seem to be used to it. Get your camera ready, make sure the battery is full, take VDO and put it on your Facebook! Many wonder which one comes first? Railway track or Market? The answer you have to come and find out yourselves.
After the exciting ride on by Train our next Off Beaten Track is to explore the village’s rich nature,Klong Klon. The village is full of wildlife, traditional Thai agriculture. Quietly observe their fishing skills, how local fishermen live on their daily live in this fishing Village, an absolute purely nature town hiding away from Bangkok. Klong in Thai is “canal” and Klon is “mud”. Our regular Boat Man, Uncle Tueng will take you on his fishing boat to the Gulf of Thailand, passing small fishermen stilt hut, observing folk wisdoms of fishing methods, making shrimp paste and so on.
Come and join the exciting moment with us ;
• Cruise on mud flats with the fishermen longtail boat. Klong in Thai is “canal” and Klon is “mud”, so don’t be surprised that our long tail boat which normally runs in water, it can goes on mud as well.
• Slide on the mire to collect ark shells in brackish water.
• Visit rich mangrove plantation, one of the successful royal projects of HRH Princess Sirithorn
If you are keen, join them for mangrove planting, but beware, you might get dirty because of the mud
• Visit Thailand best shrimp paste production (when there is production)
• Highlight for animal lovers, Feedmonkeys, the Long Tail Macaque. We bring along plenty of bananas for them.
• Watch rare birds: herons, hawks, and may be monitor lizards
• monitor mud-skippers and preserved crabs
- Air-conditioned transfer and English speaking guide
- Train Ride
- Boat Ride to Gulf of Thailand on mud and water.
- Admission fee to attractions stated above
- Local Thai Lunch (exclude. Drink)
- Bananas for monkey ( can be for you too)
- Tips not necessary but as gratitude for your Tour Guide, Boat Man, Driver. “It’s up to you!”.